Saturday, November 29, 2008

Road Trip Update by Ana Sanchez


I came on TGR Road Trip not knowing what to expect and now that I've
arrived back home I can say that it was unlike anything I've ever done
before! We kick started TGR Road Trip by spreading hope in the Keys
and in Homestead. In order to inspire others to join the revolution,
we did random acts of kindness, such as paying for meals, parking
spots, handing out gift cards, water bottles, and food.

We got lots of stares as we rode around the VW van singing Christmas
songs and passing out TGR cards, letting everyone know that TGR had
begun. I haven't sung Jingle Bells and I Want to Wish You a Merry
Christmas so much in my life. The people on this trip (aka
"revolutionaries") got to know each other as we gave gifts, laughed
together, ate meals together and in some cases, slept in the same tent
or RV together.

But out of all the things we did, the most memorable one for me wasn't
the most expensive gift we gave, it wasn't even the most expressive
reaction we received but it was the story that touched my heart the
most...

In South Land Mall, I bought a ticket for a carousel ride. Then, I
turned around and gave it to a mom with a little girl in a stroller.
Confused, the lady asked, "You don't want the $2?" And handing her TGR
card I said, "No, Mam. It's a gift." After that, I went on to the next
gift revolution. When I was walking back to the carousel part of the
mall, the gentleman that I bought the ticket from motioned me over. He
told me the lady I had given the ticket to was completely stoked! She
couldn't believe a complete stranger would give her a gift. He told me
how that lady comes by every day after work, buys her little girl a
cookie, sits down with her until she finishes and then gives her a
ride on the carousel. She told the gentlemen, "I've never gotten a
gift from a stranger before and much less has my little girl." I
didn't get to see this reaction from the lady when I gave her the
ticket but I was lucky to hear the story. Even if you never get to see
it, you never know how your gift can impact someone. I hope that
everyone that received a gift passes it on to someone else because on
this trip I was convinced that, "when a gift is given, whether big or
small, it makes a world of difference."

2 comments:

Heather Palacios said...

Great story, Ana. Thanks for your willingness and your huge heart behind it.

Anonymous said...

Amazing keep at it